Industrial Sewing machinist
- Ref: JM67
- Location: Wirral
- Type: Contract / Full-time
- Salary: £8.21 Per Hour Apply for this Job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Sewing Machinist to join our Wirral based client, working 8am - 4.30pm Monday - Thursday and 8am - 2pm Friday, the client offers free parking, 21 days holiday plus back holiday and the office closes at Christmas. This is a temp - perm position, wage - £8.21p/hr, rising to £8.40p/hr after successful probation, plus monthly performance bonus. Overtime also available.
- To support the Senior Management Team in the operational efficiency of the department in order to ensure smooth running of all departments.
- Receives daily instructions from Supervisor/Head of Production regarding products to be worked on that day and to complete all work quickly and efficiently to the highest quality
- To sew and make up bags, pouches and covers by using one or all of the following machines - Walking foot Flatbed, Elastic Binding, Cylinder Arms, Taper, Automatic pattern sewing Machine and Taper guides.
- To ensure individual input assists with the smooth flow of work through the production line
- To maintain sewing machines when required and check and clean them every week, along with the ability to identify minor/major faults on machines and rectify where possible. If not advice Head of Production to arrange repair.
- Ability to read drawings, and Material requisitions and interpret instructions on Job Sheets to assist laying out jobs prior to production.
- Responsible for the completion of time sheets. In addition to working in conjunction with quality inspectors, commenting on any alterations which need to be made to the design before next time the product goes into production
- Ability to identify quality issues throughout production with colleagues work and raw material and advise the quality inspectors.
- Responsible for a clean, neat and tidy work areas at all times
- To ensure all excess stock is returned to the storage upon completion of each job undertaken
- To work as part of a team so work is shared and all jobs within the function are undertaken by every machinist
- To constantly strive to improve your department by identifying and implementing process efficiency and system improvements, through quality and continuous improvement systems
- To ensure that H&S and ISO requirements are met within the function and to report any variances to the Head of Production
- To undertake any other duties are required by the Head of Production
Knowledge and Experience required
- To be able to use all the sewing machines; Flatbed (automated cut offs)
- To have had previous experience in an industrial sewing environment
- Skill to thread and carry out basic maintenance on all machines used
- To be able to use sewing machines - Cylinder Arm, Taper and AMS Machine. Training will be provided.
- Good team member
- Inter-departmental working and communication
Skills and Abilities (Once Trained)
- Ability to adjust bar on machines to various thickness according to fabrics used
- The ability to identify all items required for specific jobs, including zips, webbing etc
- Ability to recognise changes between the sample and the job sheet and refer these to the quality inspectors
- Ability to work on their own partially unsupervised but having direct access to the Head of Production
- High level of attention to details is required
- Ability to understand job sheets and follow written instructions and drawings in order to undertake ‘one off’s’
- Ability to analyse problems and procedures and to provide recommendations for any problems and to react quickly to situations
If you feel you have the relevant skills and experience, please forward a copy of your CV to email@example.com
If you haven’t heard from us within 1 week, please assume your application has been unsuccessful.